Southern Alberta is no stranger to winter, with the accompanying snow and subsequent spring rains.
Our average annual snowfall is 132cm/52”. However we have received more than 40” of snow and seen 41 degree temperature changes in a single day. We hold the record for Canada’s most drastic one day change and this can make us prone to flooding.
Your local team at ServiceMaster of Lethbridge offers the following tips regarding flooding.
Step one: know your insurance coverage
While the Alberta flood of 2013 is well-known for mass damage, 2018 saw many homeowners caught without coverage due to overland flooding. Other years, homeowners have had difficulties with seepage from ground water, something often not covered by insurance. Surprise deductible levels and policy limits can also cause stress.
Talk to your insurance broker about what is best for you in your unique location. Make certain you understand your insurance coverage.
Step two: prepare your home ahead of time
- Check your roof for missing shingles and your gutters for debris.
- Check your furnace and exhaust vent, remove ice or snow around them.
- Clear snow away from your foundation and window wells.
- If you have a sump pump, test it and clean it out annually.
- Waterproof visible cracks in your foundations and walls.
- Landscape to allow water to drain away from the foundation of your home.
Step three: during any rapid melt or heavy rainfall
- Clear snow and debris away from storm drains.
- Clear a trench along curbs to the storm drain.
- Ensure gutters are free of snow and debris, with downspouts pointing away from home.
Best laid plans…
Sometimes it doesn’t matter how many precautions your take, your home or business may still flood. If it does these What You Need to Do tips may be helpful. You’ll also want to be certain to call the certified and reputable technicians at ServiceMaster of Lethbridge to put your property back in order.